Wondering what business casual outfits for women look like these days? Same here. Everyone’s idea of what “casual” means is different, especially depending on which industry you work in. Ahead, I’m laying out my top tips for business casual dressing, no matter the role you’re in.
01. Jeans definitely fit into the category of business casual dressing — just so long as they don’t have any holes in them. Darker washes tend to be more office-appropriate, although folks in warmer cities can get away with light washes, too.
02. If you’re going to wear leggings, make sure to stick to black options. They look like skinny jeans instead of workout clothes. And always pair them with a bottom-covering top.
03. Shoes can turn any outfit from too casual to business casual — or vice versa. A pair of heels, for example, will smarten up a jeans-and-blazer combo, while a pair of trainers will bring a hip suit down to earth.
04. When you can, look for machine washable clothes. Not only are they easier to clean, they save you money on dry cleaning, and help protect the environment, as dry cleaning can be damaging.
05. Comfortable, business casual outfits are also great for business trips — and make it easy to go from the boardroom straight to the airport. Elastic pants, cotton blouses, and knit sweaters are comfortable and also won’t wrinkle, making them an easy way to travel in style.
In general, though, functional and versatile business casual outfits for women are your best bet. They go straight from the office, to the airplane, to the couch, freeing you up to do more with less.