Summer is here and it's time to get your wardrobe ready!
A major tip that we constantly share with our stunning Aday community is building a minimalist summer capsule wardrobe.
The less-is-more concept has never been truer. With only a few foundational pieces, you’ll have a timeless and versatile wardrobe to carry you through the summer.
This means redefining the fast fashion purchase cycle (which isn’t good for the environment either) and going the sustainable way rather than following trends. This way, you’ll be able to embody your personal style and only choose pieces that are here to say.
And not only that, but:
- You’ll end up saving time since you won’t be spending hours at stores figuring out what to buy.
- Every piece you own will suit your lifestyle, whether you’re a frequent traveler or a busy, corporate woman.
- With your staple summer pieces set, you’ll never have to worry about what to wear, giving you maximum peace of mind and freedom.
- You’ll get a better idea of the styles that work for you and those that don’t.
The key to a great summer capsule wardrobe is versatility and sustainability. Aday believes in investing in multifunctional pieces that can be worn repeatedly, and are as comfortable as your favorite pajama set.
And since we all know how summer can come with its share of intense heat, you want light, airy, and breathable fabrics at the top of your summer wardrobe checklist.
Shopping for your summer staple pieces will require a set of hawk eyes to avoid going down the trendy fashion rabbit hole or getting stuck with low-quality pieces that won’t last after only one or two washes.
The Aday team is here to lend a helping hand. We’ll take you through three must-haves for your summer wardrobe, as well as three clothing pieces you can do without.
Must-Haves for a Summer Capsule Wardrobe
1 - A Throw-On-And-Go Lightweight Dress
Easy, ready-to-wear lightweight, dresses are free and flowy and feature a special flattering silhouette.
They can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion, making them a foundational piece to have on hand all season long.
Not to mention, these staple pieces take up minimal closet space, so you can easily pack them away when fall rolls around without worrying about clutter!
To get the most out of your dresses this season, consider these tips when shopping:
- Go for man-made, sustainable, and long-lasting fabrics such as Stretch Linen and Technical Silk, which are more comfortable to wear and less likely to irritate your skin.
- Opt for wrap-style dresses that will still fit even if you mistakenly order a size up or down.
- While you can never go wrong with an LBD (little black dress), we recommend adding flavor to your outfits with a splash of color—particularly timeless colors that will never go out of style. These include more neutral shades of blue and green like our soft blue hue and warm pecan dresses.
- As far as accessories go, a wide brimmed hat paired with sandals will complete your look for effortless summer elegance.
The best sundresses for summer are made of superior-quality fabrics that will keep you comfortable in even the most sweltering temperatures.
When sourcing our fabrics, we heavily focus on sustainable and long-lasting fabrics (such as biodegradable, regenerated, recycled, and bio-based fibers), eco-friendly dyeing and finishing, and innovative performance features.
This ensures that our pieces are not just comfortable but also durable and easy to care for.
All our fabrics are unique in their own measures, but they all share the following properties:
- UV-protection: Thanks to their inherent fiber structure, unique construction, the density of the knit, and opaque microfibers, our sundresses filter the sun’s UV rays. Our fabrics with UV protection like Technical Silk are UPF 50+.
(Note: We don’t use chemical treatments to make our fabrics wrinkle-resistant, so our sundresses may respond slightly differently after washing or traveling. We recommend hanging them for the wrinkles to fall out.)
- Quick drying: Because our dresses don’t absorb water easily, they spread the water along the fine knit structure onto a larger surface area, increasing evaporation rate. This lets them dry quickly.
2 - Tailored, Flowy Shorts
Tailored, flowy shorts are essential summer staples that will come in handy throughout the season.
They're stylish, comfortable, and versatile. Wear them with a tank top for the beach or dress them up with heeled sandals and a blazer for a dinner out.
Plus, they can be dressed down easily so you don't have to worry about overdoing it when the temperatures rise.
Investing in high-quality, tailored, flowy shorts enables you to wear them time and again without fading or diminishing in quality.
"... These are great in the summer. Stretchy, just the right length, cool, deep pockets, nice material so they can be dressed up. I love them." Kate H, Turn It Up Shorts Verified Buyer
Rock them in several ways so they look fresh and new every time you wear them:
- If the shorts are well-fitting, pair them with a loose fit tank top to make your legs appear slimmer.
- Instead of the normal mid-waisted shorts, try high-waisted ones that will make your legs look longer.
- Wear a cropped wrap top tucked in with your high-waisted shorts to give the illusion of a skinnier waist.
When shopping for shorts, look for styles that hit around mid-thigh with just enough room in the legs to move comfortably.
Expert Tip: Stay away from overly baggy styles. Remember, your aim is comfort without sacrificing style.
3 - A Classic Plain Colored Tee
There's nothing like a classic plain tee to complete any warm-weather ensemble. This wardrobe staple comes in handy throughout the year.
While a slim-fit version is perfect for layering under jumpsuits or cardigans, a loose piece will feel much more comfortable on sunny days.
"Perfect shirt for hot weather! It's cool and light and super comfortable. I wore this shirt in 82-degree weather and 80% humidity and it was great." Victoria Y
It can be dressed up or down and pairs perfectly with almost anything in your closet. Sport it under a light jacket on a work day or tuck it into your cute shorts or a flowy midi-skirt for a casual evening out with friends.
Whether you decide on something cropped or oversized, simple plain tees offer an effortless style that will never let you down.
Items You Can Do Without
1- A Heavy Sweater or Hoodie
When the sun's out and temperatures are rising, nobody wants to be weighed down by an extra layer.
Heavy sweaters can feel too hot and uncomfortable during such times, and oversized hoodies may not provide enough coverage on chillier nights, no matter how fashionable they look.
Instead, opt for knit fabric pieces that still offer warmth without adding extra bulk or heat.
2 - A Winter Coat
When it comes to winter, a coat is an essential item. But in the summer, when the weather's hot, outerwear will only bring you more discomfort.
No matter how stylish it looks, a winter coat won't be practical unless it fits well and allows movement without constricting your body temperature.
3 - A Pair of Ankle Boots
Lastly, ditch those ankle boots for sandals that provide breathability while still looking fashionable and chic.
Yes, a well-fitting boot may complete your entire look, but it’s just too hot for them.
But if you really need to rock some boots this season, or want a pair close by just in case you need to leave your house on a chilly morning or evening, investing in one of these won’t hurt:
- Versatile boots—perfect for pairing with jeans and skirts alike
- Stylish rain boots to keep your feet dry in any weather
- An eye-catching statement boot to add some pizzazz to your look
Elevate Your Style This Summer With Essential Foundational Pieces
There’s nothing more captivating than stylishly gracing your summer days with sustainable, timeless, and versatile pieces you can wear many times throughout the season.
With just a few essential pieces in your arsenal, you'll be ready for anything the summer throws at you.
At Aday, sustainability is our baseline. You deserve to wear sustainable pieces that are better for you and the environment.
Each summer capsule essential you purchase from us is durable, easy to maintain, super-comfortable, and is dyed and finished with eco-friendly materials that don’t leak harsh chemicals to the environment.
So go ahead, take inventory of your current wardrobe, and decide which foundational and statement pieces you’ll add to your ultimate summer collection.
We promise, you won't regret it.